Chief Financial Officer
SUMMARY OF POSITION: The Chief Financial Officer (CFO), oversees all of the financial activity of the agency, including the billing department and IT department. The CFO establishes and maintains systems for financial control and accountability for the agency, including budgets and strategic plans, accounting procedures and various reports to ensure compliance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBIITIES:
- In collaboration with Executive Director and Senior Team members, develop annual operating plan goals, contract budget and fiscal oversight (DMH, etc) and financial budgets to meet those goals.
- Utilize reports and date extracts from DMH IS to consistently track services and billings to budgeted and contracted amounts from various funding streams. Analyze data, report results and recommend strategies to keep services in line with contracts.
- Work as a close collaborative partner with other Senior Team members, Program Staff and Board of Directors to successfully design and implement Strategic Plan goals.
- Assist Senior Team members and Board of Directors in devising, reporting, and analyzing meaningful financial and other measures of the ‘key drivers’ of the agency’s strategic and operational performance.
- Effectively work with Senior Team members, Program Staff and Board of Directors to recommend options and solutions to financial, contractual and program challenges by taking a ‘holistic’ approach to the business of the entire agency.
- Maintain positive working relationships with county program representative, board members and outside vendors.
- Design, develop and maintain contract monitoring to ensure agency is meeting service requirements.
- Accurately and timely, complete all required budgets, budget amendments and contractual reports to county agencies.
- Oversee all aspects of accounting department, audits, including the supervision of the Accounting Manager and staff.
- Ensure accurate, timely and useful financial information and reports are produced. This includes income statements, balance sheets, reports to the Board of Directors and other pertinent reports.
- Ensure the effective delivery of routine financial services and operations of the agency, such as, but not limited to, payroll, cash management, cashiering, accounts receivable and payable, general ledger maintenance.
- Establish and maintain systems for financial controls and reporting. This includes areas like payroll, employee reimbursements, credit card usage, petty cash, purchasing and capital equipment.
- Oversee the billing department and its functions, including the supervision of the Billing Manager.
- Ensure timely and accurate data entry of all billings to various government contracts.
- Oversee the Information Technology Function and supervise IT Manager to ensure that the department appropriately supports agency operations.
- Review systems, software and other infrastructure to facilitate the most efficient and effective functioning of our IT systems.
- Ensure Accounting, IT, and Billing departments are responsive to internal and external customers.
- Work collaboratively with Executive Director, Chief of Programs, Program Directors and Program Managers, to ensure that we are meeting service requirements.
- Collaborate with Development Director to provide timely, accurate and appropriate information for proposal development and reporting.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- CPA and/or MBA required
- Experience with Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health contracts and fiscal management is REQUIRED.
- 4 to 6 years of experience at Controller level or higher. Preferably in a nonprofit publically financed organization.
- Prior supervisory experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with Microsoft Office applications, Excel, Word, and Access required. Ability to utilize Excel Pivot table preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work cooperatively as a team member.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; also a strong sense of integrity in the financial and business operations of the agency.
- Demonstrated ability to make the transition from operational, financial, and billing details to big picture scenarios and strategic business decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to define problems, gather data, analyze, synthesize and classify information, and draw valid, objective conclusions.
- Demonstrated experience and ability in successful change management through flexibility and strategic thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, establish priorities, manage time, meet deadlines, effectively delegate and perform duties under often severe time constraints.
- Demonstrated ‘customer-service approach’ to the Finance, Billing, and Information Technology areas of the agency; ability to work effectively with all departments to help them find mutually agreed-upon solutions.
- All employees, regardless of position, serve as role models for the clients who are served by our agency. Therefore, each employee must at all times be emotionally stable and able to function effectively with children, adolescents, and adults who may have mental or behavioral health problems. The staff must be able to demonstrate appropriate daily behavior, appropriate expression of emotions, as well as appropriate role modeling. Hostility, verbal aggression, unnecessary or inappropriate physical actions, and inappropriate emotional expression are not acceptable.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Limited physical effort required.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks, such as operating dangerous equipment or working with chemicals.
Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V).
Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Pay: $110,000 to $120,000/year
Job Status: Full Time